The weekend success of Monster’s vs. Aliens is a prime indicator of our customers desires to still be entertained. The movie did $58 million over the weekend. Let’s discuss why this movie is selling tickets from an event marketing perspective.
1) First off they started creating hype for this movie during the Super Bowl. Remember the 3-D glasses we all had?
2) It is being marketed as a family movie. Not just for the kids but the whole family. As a father with kids still at home I can tell you that we are always looking for these types of entertainment.
3) The 3-D gimmick is working. Kids today demand a very interactive experience. This is as close as you can get with a movie.
4) Cabin Fever is at an all time high. Families need to get out of the house. It’s been a long recession winter.
5) The price of taking a family of four to a movie is still inexpensive (relatively speaking). Anytime you can take the whole family out for $50 or less is great. Hollywood is having its best first two quarters in years. The price of a movie is a big reason.
Now what if we take all of these reasons and put it toward our events? There is no reason why we can’t. Come up with an event theme that the customer wants. Create a good marketing campaign that will get people talking. Make your event hands on and interactive. Touchy/feely sells tickets. Market the fact that you are the “escape” from the recession and winter blues. Price your event so that your customer not only can afford it but they believe it is a good deal.
If we had a cookbook with recipes for successful events, these ingredients would be included.